Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ten on Tuesday: January 4

I was first introduced to the idea of Ten on Tuesday through Gail Werner's blog, which led me to Roots and Rings...where the questions originate. I'd like to participate so that I can share a bit more about myself to all of you. Problem is...it is super hard for me to stick with things like this...but I'm going to try. Hold me accountable people!!

ten on tuesday 1.4


1. What kind of home do you currently reside in? My husband and I currently reside in a home that we own. It was built in 1923 and is your typical four square style home. We purchased the home in April of 2008, only 15 days after walking through it for the first time. We started renovating in June of 2008 and were able to finally move in in September 2009. We are currently building a screened in porch in the back and finishing the basement. Some before and afters can be seen here, here, here, and here. So, I never did finish showing the house...see what I mean about sticking with things. My mind is on to something else...all. the. time.



2. If you could completely redecorate one room in your house, which room would you pick and why. What would you do to it? As I mentioned in the previous answer, our house was just recently renovated from top to bottom (mostly), so everything is pretty much how I want it to be. One area of the house that we hope to get to in the future though, is the attic. It is a 1/2 story with a pretty good amount of headroom and space. If I had the funds, I would finish this room and make it a new office for myself, or maybe a library, or a master bedroom. So many options with a bare-bones room.



3. What is your favorite place to gain inspiration for your home decor style? I find inspiration in stores such as Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel, and CB2. I get inspired by these stores and then try do copy their styles on the cheap.



4. What is your favorite piece of home decor? Right now it is our Christmas Tree. I don't want to take it down :( The rest of the year, it is our collection of art...Kentucky Derby Poster above the fireplace, Ray LaMontagne poster from Red Rocks, etc.



5. What do you want visitors to feel when they visit your home? Warm, cozy, and welcome.



6. Describe your home in one word and explain why you chose that word. Lovely... because a lot of hard word went into making this house a home...and I love it.



7. What are some predominate colors or patterns in your home? dark brown, khaki, grey, blue.



8. What is your favorite room in your house and why? I love the living room because it is relaxing and cozy. I think I'll love the screened in porch the most in the summer for dining and entertaining friends.



9. Do you take a hands on or DIY approach to projects around your home or do you enlist or hire help. We are almost 100% DIY. When renovating our house from June 2008-September 2009, we only hired a handful of help. (HVAC rerouting in the basement, connecting the gas line to the new stove in the kitchen, and installing a new electricity box in the basement) Husband and I did the rest with our own two hands.



10. Where is your favorite place to shop for home furnishings? Ikea is the current leader.

No comments: